Alberta’s Legislature Library was established in 1906, with William A. Buchanan of Lethbridge (later Senator Buchanan) serving as its first head librarian. The Library was moved to its present site in the Legislature Building in Edmonton during the latter part of 1911, shortly before the official opening of the Building in 1912. Prior to the creation of a separate archives facility in 1963, the Library served as the provincial archives as well as Alberta’s parliamentary library. There have been nine Legislature Librarians since 1906.
The administration and staff of the Alberta Legislature Library may be contacted at:
The primary client group of the Library comprises the Lieutenant Governor and all the Members of the Legislative Assembly. The Library, as a branch of the Legislative Assembly Office (LAO), comes under the administrative direction of the Clerk. Like other branches of the organization, it provides non-partisan services to the all the Members regardless of party affiliation. Additionally, Alberta’s Legislature Library has always provided some services to the civil service and to the general public.
As appropriate, the Legislature Library’s premises are used for special events such as Royal visits and receptions of various types. An annual Library Open House has been hosted by the Speaker since 1999. As well, Alberta’s copies of the Books of Remembrance, which list Canada’s war dead, are displayed in the Library.
The collection is strong in the areas of political science, public administration, statute law, economics and Alberta and Canadian history. The Library also maintains the largest collection of Alberta government publications and weekly newspapers in the province and a comprehensive collection of local histories. The Legislature Library’s electronic collection includes its partially digitized Alberta Scrapbook Hansard and Alberta government documents.
The Legislature Library’s integrated library system is SirsiDynix’s Symphony. The catalogue is available through the Legislative Assembly Office (LAO)’s web site.
In addition, more than 30 subscription databases and a variety of other electronic services are available to primary clients for research purposes via the Library’s pages of the LAO Intranet site.
The Library is a member of The Alberta Library (TAL), a province-wide consortium of multi-type libraries that cooperate to provide enhanced services to their clients. The Library is also a full depository library for federal government publications and Alberta government publications.
The staff of the Legislature Library comprises librarians, library technicians, and administrative and support personnel, in addition to special project staff.
216 Legislature Building
Phone: (780) 427-2473
Fax: (780) 427-6016
Legislative Assembly website: http://www.assembly.ab.ca/