Legislative Library was established in 1870, the year that the province
entered Confederation. Its first chief librarian was John Robertson,
appointed in 1884. In 1975, the library expanded to two sites: the main
collections and services moved to the Manitoba Archives Building, the
former Winnipeg Civic Auditorium which was retrofitted for its new purpose.
under The Legislative Library Act, the Library provides a confidential
and non-partisan information service to the Legislature, based on its
specialized resources. The Library also ensures current and future access
to Manitoba's published heritage.
profiled in its collections are history, public administration, economics,
biography and the political and social sciences. Other collection highlights
include Manitoba government publications from the earliest days of the
province, a rare book collection housed in a climate-controlled vault,
and Manitoba newspapers dating from 1859. Since 1919, the library has
benefited from legal deposit legislation, under which the library receives
copies of all books and serials published in the Province.
web site provides access to the online catalogue as well as links to
the Manitoba government publications monthly checklist and Selected
New Titles. In addition, the site provides links to subscription databases,
the Library’s Virtual Reference Desk, Manitoba government electronic
publications and digitized heritage materials.
Library is a prime source of information for the Members of the Legislative
Assembly, government departments and agencies. As a research library,
it is also a resource for the academic community and the general public.
Its staff includes professional librarians, library technicians, clerks
100 – 200 Vaughan Street
Phone: (204) 945-4330
Fax (204) 948-1312
Legislative Assembly website: http://www.gov.mb.ca/legislature/