Brunswick Legislative Library
Committee of the Legislative Council and the Legislative Assembly established
New Brunswick’s Legislative Library in 1841. This action formalized
the Library’s creation, which had taken place in 1784 when the
Province was first formed. During most of the nineteenth century, the
Library was located in Province House, the original Legislative Building.
However, it is now located in the present Legislative Building, which
was erected during the period 1880-1882. New Brunswick’s first
parliamentary librarian, Mark Needham, was appointed in 1842.
provides information, reference, research, and publication services
to Members of the Legislative Assembly and their staff. The Library’s
collection is strong in the social sciences and humanities with emphasis
on administration, economics, Canadian history, law, political science,
and social questions. Through exchange and deposit agreements, it holds
the Sessional papers and publications of the other provinces and the
territories. All newspapers of the province are acquired and an extensive
periodicals collection is maintained. The size of the complete collection
is approximately 220,000 volumes.
of the Legislative Library compiles an annual checklist of New Brunswick
government publications as well as several other publications, including
bibliographies and accessions lists.
Legislative Library has seven permanent staff members, two of whom are
professionals. Its annual budget is approximately $500,000.
The Legislative Library Act states that “the Legislative Library
shall operate primarily for the use of the Members of the Legislative
Assembly and members of the department…” In actual fact,
the general public, university staff and students, as well as other
types of researchers, use the resources and facilities.
address and telephone number are:
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Legislative Assembly website: http://www.gnb.ca/legis/index-e.asp